Monday, August 31, 2009
SEQC Sunday Quiz - September 2009
Date: 6th September 2009
Time: 5.00 pm
QM: Sachin Chatte
Venue: Corporation of the City of Panaji Hall, IInd floor, CCP Building, opposite Cafe Central, off 18th June Road.
Participation: Open to all
Saturday, August 29, 2009
Books can be fun, whether you read them or play games around them. That's the point of the Great Big Book Fun Day, an event due to take place on Saturday, September 5, at the Clube Tennis de Gasper Dias in Miramar.
There are three events planned -- the first, called Mixed Mysteries, is for children from classes 1 to 4. This component is for individual participants, who will be given the task of solving a puzzle related to books.
The main event of the afternoon is a quiz-based board game with the theme of 'Around the World in 80 Minutes'. This game is for children from classes 5 to 8, who will need to participate in teams of three.
The grand finale will be the Bookwise Quiz, open to all students up to class 12. Also for teams of three, this will be an audiovisual quiz on the topic of books and comics.
Kids interested in participating in any of these events can either apply through their schools or directly with the organisers, though for the senior events, they will need to apply as teams of three. Entry to all events is free.
The Great Big Book Fun Day is being organised by the Panjim-based not-for-profit Bookworm library, whose aim is to foster a love of reading among children. The quiz and game content for the senior events is being developed by SEQC members. Reading Habit, the much-loved Panjim bookstore, has offered to sponsor prizes for the winners of the events. The YMCA will also be putting up a snacks stall at the venue.
Registration for the three components are open -- those interested can contact Bookworm at 2420146 or 9823222665, or e-mail email@example.com
Saturday, August 22, 2009
1. What brand in India is “Seedhi baat, no bakwaas”? – Sprite
2. Which company started off as Western India Vegetable Products? – Wipro
3. Picture – E. Sreedharan
4. Adolf Dassler started Adidas, what did his brother Rudolf start? – Puma
5. Which cement brand was recently acquired by Italcementi? – Zuari Cement
6. Which automobile manufacturer also produces high-end accessories like the P9521 mobile phones & the P8400 sun-glasses? – Porsche
7. Print ad – PETA
8. Which company has introduced a 3” wide touch screen mp3 player with the prefix 3, the 3 signifying 3 stars? – Samsung
9. What did Alexander McRae start as the McRae Hosiery Co.? – Speedo
10. The smallest of this species is Ispidina lecontei, the largest is Megaceryle maxima. What brand name do we get from this species? – Kingfisher
11. Book cover – Narayan Murthy’s A Better India, A Better World
12. Which consulting major has a networking platform called D-Street? – Deloitte
13. Which organization’s newsletter is called Grapevine, which it terms as ‘meeting in print’? – Alcoholics Anonymous
14. The book From Bankruptcy to Billions by Sudhir Kumar & Shagun Mehrotra is the story of the turnaround of which Indian organization? – The Indian Railways
Round 1: (+10)
1. The name of what product, which Vogue magazine termed as the ‘invention of the 20th century’ in 1908, entered the Oxford English Dictionary a few years later? The word being in French and difficult to pronounce, people began calling it by an abbreviated name, which also enters the OED subsequently. – Bra/Brassiere
2. What technique did Albert Humphrey pioneer at Stanford University in the 1960s using data from Fortune 500 companies? – SWOT Analysis
3. Which Oxford economist of the 18th century was never given an honorary doctorate by his own university but was honoured by having his image printed on a British currency note? – Adam Smith
4. What is C2A, or Call To Action marketing? – Marketing in which the potential customer is made to get in touch with the marketer, such as a toll free number, or a discount coupon that will bring the customer to the store.
5. What was created by Alexey Pajitnov that has sold 40 million copies, but did not benefit its creator monetarily since he invented it in communist-era Russia? – Tetris
6. What was created for the German Army due to petrol shortages in World War I and became very popular in rural India? – Paraffin
Round 2: Tata (Buzzer, +5/-5)
1. Which Tata company that produces educational books….? – Tata-McGraw Hill
2. What is the old name of Tata Coffee? – Consolidated Coffee
3. Which Tata brand is named after a time of the day? – Eight O’Clock Coffee
Round 3: Visual (+10)
1. Print ad – Coca-cola
2. Picture of a castle – Why does this building earn millions of dollars in royalty payments? – It’s the castle where the Harry Potter movies are shot.
3. Book cover – Nandan Nilekani’s Imagining India.
4. Logo – Fendi
5. Identify the car. – The Vespa 400, the only car manufactured by Piaggio.
Round 4: Connect (Buzzer, +10/-5)
1. Movie with Tushar Kapoor, poster of Liar Liar, scene from some TV serial etc. – Balaji Telefilms
2. Picture of Ted Turner, four brothers, The Wedding Singer poster, Bugs Bunny video – Warner Brothers
3. Dennie Lillee, Steve Waugh, Mammen Mapillai, Suzuki ad – MRF
4. Nadeem, Vaishnodevi, scene from a film etc. – T-Series
Round 5: Three Clues (Buzzer, +15,+10,+5/-10)
1. Naina Lal Kidwai
2. Gulshan Kumar
3. Shiv Nadar
1st: Aditya Watve, Malcolm Barreto, Neville Monteiro, Prasad Sawant - 85
2nd: [Aniruddha Sen Gupta, Anjali Sen Gupta, Leroy Veloso, Trusha Ganesh] & [Atish Fernandes, Jack Sukhija, Miriam Sukhija] - 55
4th: Luis Dias, Maria De Souza, Paola Mambro, Sidney Rebello - 45
5th: Barbara MacMath, Conrad Fernandes, Julian Fernandes, Noella Fernandes, Solana Da Silva - 35
6th: Joanne Da Cunha, J. Loyola Pereira, Miraj Desai, Yvonne Rebello - 10
Winners: Abhinav Bhattacharya & Abin Thomas (GVM's, Ponda) - 100
Runners-up: Ashray Addappa & Jayant Karn (Dhempe's, Panaji) - 71
3rd: Beverly Fernandes & Paricshit Phaldessai (Cuncolim United, Cuncolim) - 70
4th: Aditya Masurkar & Swetang Naik (Chandrabhaga Tukoba, Margao) - 45
5th: Prathamesh Naik & Vibhas Prabhudesai (Dhempe's, Panaji) & Damodar Keny & Gauravi Keni (R. M. Salgaonkar, Margao) - 30
Winners: Savoir Faire Media (Harshvardhan Bhatkuly & Rajiv D'Silva) - 90
Runners-up: Splash Communications (Aniruddha Sen Gupta & Vidyadhar Gadgil) - 11
3rd: HUL (Rishek Alag & Sunil Singh) & Syngenta (G. R. Pai & Joseph D'Souza) - 10
5th: Synapse (N. Sirish & Advait V.) & Betts India (Subrata Bose & Ishwar Das) - 0
Monday, August 17, 2009
1st: John George & Nevin Mathews (Manovikas English Medium School, Margao) - 80
2nd: Shukr Usgaonkar & Aditya Sardesai (Sharda Mandir School, Panaji) - 75
3rd: Nandan Pai Kakode & Sarvesh Komarpant (Mahila & Nutan School, Margao) - 65
4th: Goutam Bhat & Akhil Bhangui (The New Educational Institute, Curchorem) - 45
5th: Kaushik Desai & Marizela Carvalho (Bhatiker Model High School, Margao) - 40
6th: Adrian Fernandes & Shardool Kulkarni (Regina Mundi High School, Vasco) - 20
Saturday, August 15, 2009
Friday, August 14, 2009
Date: 16th August 2009
Time: 10.00 am
QM: Harshvardhan Bhatkuly
Venue: Loyola High School, Margao
Who can participate: Students upto Standard 10
For more details call Harsh on 9890983826
It was that time of the month when SEQC members come together for the monthly quiz. This month it was the turn of Aniruddha ‘Annie’ Sen Gupta to conduct the quiz.
He may have weak shoulders but he surely has sharp brains and that was evident throughout the three-hour long quiz. Everybody was divided into 8 teams, the eventual winner being Team 8 who scored 11.
The quiz was divided into two parts, the first section titled In the Zone had questions based on 18 topics that ranged from popular Hindi films to militant organizations. Some of these topics were sent by the participants themselves whereas there were some tailor-made topics meant for particular participants based on their interests, like the sex-related question fir Savio and for Niyati, the question on her favourite novel, Nancy Drew. I found this concept quite innovative.
The first round was much easier and simpler than the first round. The second round was called Annie-thing Goes, which, as the name suggests had questions based on Aniruddha’s interests and stuff. It covered varied topics and I should confess that it was not my cup of tea. It was quite a tough quiz especially for a fresher like me. In all it was a good exercise for our brains for three hours. Vikram, the youngest participant, brought in some entertainment and some excitement into the quiz. Lastly, it was a great mix of some very intelligent questions by Annie. His questions reflected thorough research and his knowledge. Keep up the good work, Annie!See you all soon for the next SEQC quiz. Till then keep quizzing!
Tuesday, August 11, 2009
1st: Jayant Karn, Sachin Chatte, Tallulah D'Silva, Vivek Krishnan, Yashodhara Kundaji - (11)
2nd: Ananya Mukherjee, Blessie James, Janice Figueiredo, Manish Karapurkar, Rajiv D'Silva - (9)
3rd: Aditi Karapukar, Anant Nagi, Anjali Sen Gupta, Mariette Correa, Vidyadhar Gadgil - (8)
4th: Aaron Fernandes, Achintya Karapurkar, Conrad Fernandes, Luis Dias, Paola Mambro, Reuben Rodrigues - (6)
5th: Mahesh Prabhu, Navin Pai, Sanket Patil, Savio Figueiredo, Sunita Rao, Taran Mukherjee - (5)
6th: [Adish Talwadker, Amit Shet, Ashray Addappa, Deepika Figueiredo, Sunil Sardessai], [C. G. Nitash, Harshvardhan Bhatkuly, Kanchan Desai, Nikhil Arolkar, Pranab Mukherjee, Prateek Naik] & [Ameya Mardolkar, Arti Das, C. G. Niyati, Leroy Veloso, Neville Monteiro, Renuka Figueiredo] - (4)
Here's what the updated league table looks like now.
The next monthly quiz will be held on 6th of September 2009, to be hosted by Sachin Chatte.
Saturday, August 8, 2009
Date: 18th August 2009
Time: 4.30 pm
QM: Giri 'Pickbrain' Balasubramanium
Venue: Cardium Auditorium, National Institute of Oceanography, Dona Paula
Who can participate: Teams of two, representing their company/organization.
Prizes: Rs 75,000 for the winners, 35,000 for the runners-up
More details at the official site.
Monday, August 3, 2009
SEQC Sunday Quiz - August 2009
Date: 9th August 2009
Time: 5.00 pm
QM: Aniruddha Sen Gupta
Venue: Corporation of the City of Panaji Hall, IInd Floor, CCP Building, opposite Cafe Central, Panaji.
Who can participate: Anybody, regardless of age, sex or political leaning. All turner-uppers will be divided into teams that will participate in the quiz.